Navigator Navigator
RAF Members Page
RCAF/CAF Members Page
RAAF Members Page
RNZAF Members Page
From: Charles Collier, Devizes 
Sent: February-11-11 10:01
Subject: Hercules Crash - Tromso 1972


As a follow-up - the picture shows Hercules 194 lying forlornly in the storm drain at the side of the main runway at Tromso airport. It was the annual deployment of No 1 Sqn Harriers to Northern Norway and this Hercules had just landed with the advance party equipment including the camp imprest for cash payments.
What had happened was that the co-pilot was in control during the landing. However, the captain considered that his co-pilot was making a mess of it so he regained control in the last few seconds before touchdown. This action was mis-interpreted by the co-pilot who carried on with the landing. So, at touchdown two pilots were fighting for control of the aircraft. The captain was small in stature conversely the co-pilot was bigger - the co-pilot won the disaster!
I was i/c two teams of movers ready to rapidly offload each aircraft from Wittering as they chocked in, However. I watched as this landing took place and saw the disaster unfold.

The Hercules bounced once and then thumped down again slewing to the right and into the storm drain which accommodated the fuselage with its depth up to the port wing stretched out and touching the side of the runway with the engines stalling and catching fire as the propellers dug into the earth at the side of the runway.
The deceleration was rapid and it stopped in time; for if it had gone on further it would have ploughed into us! The upper hatch opened and the crew and one accountant PO climbed out and exited along the wing stretching to the runway.

This crash, of course, halted more arrivals until the runway was declared safe. The PO accountant reported that the imprest was still onboard and should be recovered as soon as possible. I volunteered to venture into the stricken aircraft but took the safety requirement of a gas mask as I was not sure about what systems had blown off in the crash deceleration.

I climbed in through the top hatch and took a look at the load. There was a 4-tonner loaded up with duty-free in the middle of the aircraft with some PSP loaded on the ramp; the money bag was in the cab of the 4-tonner. I was impressed with the tie down of the load - nothing had shifted; all remained as when it was tied down - this was commendable and I told the inquiry so

So, what happened was the aircraft was classified as scrap after the load was removed and the dismantling teams came some time later to break it up and bring it back to re-cycle materials.

The RAF Mystery Photo #012111 was taken at Tromso in '72. The reason why Tommy & Bob looked smart sitting on the bonnet of the Landrover is because we all had some time off whilst the inqury into the accident was taking place and we went sightseeing!

Finally, a message for Keri Enyon - Taff it's good to hear from you and I'm very glad you've found your true profession. No doubt we'll meet at some time in the future - I look forward to that

From: Keith Ball, Brighton, ON 
Sent: February-11-11 14:30
Subject: CAF Mystery Photo #021111

From: Mike Hagarty, Ottawa, ON  
Sent: February-11-11 15:07
Subject: CAF Mystery Photo 021111

Tony, that is the Loadmaster Section of 435(T) Sqn. Edmonton 1982

Front Row: MCpl Rick Siddons, MCpl Larry Maracle, MCpl Mike Gerigk, MCpl Al Lepage

Rear Row: MCpl Wiff Burns, Sgt Don Lloyd, WO Lloyd Noseworthy, MCpl Con Jones, Sgt Harry Grace, MWO Mike Hagarty, MCpl Tom Forster, Sgt Butch Bouchard, MCpl Paul Goldring,
MCpl Andy Noel and MCpl Rick Smith


From: Steve Richardson, Trenton, ON 
Sent: February-12-11 0:14 
Subject: CAF Mystery Photo 021111

Tony- Here we go again down memory lane, looks like the 435 TAL School in Edmonton!

Rear (L to R) - Unknown, Don Lloyd, Al Brewer, Conn Jones, Harry Grace, MWO Mike Hagarty, Tom Forster, Al Veilleux, Paul Goldring, Chuck Coutts, Rick Smith

Front (L to R) - Rick Siddons, Larry Maracle, Mike Gerigk, Al Lepage

Where did you get this picture?  Look at those different coloured flight suits!  A lot of these loadmasters must have been young students on this course.  I worked for some of these loadmasters later on in their careers...

Take care,

Steve Richardson
These are all 435 Squadron Loadmasters in the early 80's, not sure what the occasion was.

Standing L to R: Wiff Burns, Don Lloyd, Lloyd Noseworthy, Con Jones, Harry Grace, Mike Hagarty, Tom Forster, Butch Bouchard, Paul Goldring, Andy Noel and Rick Smith

Kneeling L to R: Rick Siddons, Larry Maracle, Mike Gerigk and Al Lepage

Keith Ball

From: Don Lloyd, Calgary, AB 
Sent: February-13-11 18:07 
Subject: Re: UKMAMS OBA OBB #021111

Hi Tony: 

The CAF mystery photo is a good one.  I am in it.  Second from left,  standing.  Everyone in it is a C-130 Loadmaster. 

With a lot of head scratching I could name about 95% of them.  I can only guess the picture was taken at Namao, and for sure between 1979-1984.  The reason for the photo I have no idea.  It will be interesting to find out. 

Now I'm curious so will have to scour through my photo's and see if I can find that one, and hopefully it will say on it what it was  for. 



From: Mike Gerigk, Port Alberni, BC
Sent: February-15-11 13:43
Subject: Latest issue - CDN Picture

Hi Tony,

Got your latest issue of the MAMSOBA (obb021111). It was a pleasure to read it.

With ref to the picture of the Loadmaster Section (CAF) Here are the names.  The picture was taken in 1982 or 1981, one of the two just before I left for the Middle East, Damascus (Feb 1983)

Standing back row: Wiff Burns, Don Lloyd, Lloyd Noseworthy (Deputy LM Leader), Con Jones (Deceased), Harry Grace, Mike Haggarty (LM Leader), Tom Forster, Butch Bouchard (Deceased), Paul Goldring (Deceased), Andy Noel, and Rick Smith.

Front Row, kneeling: Rick Siddons, Larry Maracle (Deceased), Me: "Slick" Mike Gerigk, and Al Lepage.

About 25% of the LM section was either on deployment or on duty throughout Canada.  This picture  brought back a lot of memories.  Who was the original sender of the picture?  Would like to know this, as I have a print of one myself.  Thanks for printing this.

Thanks to everyone for their input.  In response to Mike's question - 'twas Tom Forster from Ottawa who sent the picture in, and he said, "I wonder how many people will get all the names (all Movers) beside Steve R?  He knows them all!"  Here's some mugshots of the scallywags:
Wiff Burns
Tom Forster
Don Lloyd
Butch Bouchard
Lloyd Noseworthy
Paul Goldring
Con Jones
Andy Noel
Harry Grace
Rick Smith
Mike Haggarty
Rick Siddons
Larry Maracle
Mike Gerigk
Al Lepage

A400M airlifter performs air-to-air refuelling trials

Airbus Military has performed an initial series of air-to-air refuelling trials of the A400M airlifter using a Vickers VC10 tanker of the UK (RAF) operating from Toulouse.
The RAF is one of the launch customers for the A400M built to carry outsize loads such as heavy engineering equipment and armoured vehicles.

Designed specifically to operate from short sandy gravely surface, the A400M has excellent landing gear floatation characteristics, allowing the delivery of large amounts of payload into low-strength semi-prepared airstrips. Its autonomous capability enables operations from remote austere airstrips loaded/unloaded by a single loadmaster without assistance from ground.

Meanwhile, Airbus Military’s second A400M development aircraft - Grizzly 2 - visited Kiruna in northern Sweden for four days of cold weather trials at the beginning of February.

The team experienced temperatures down to -21ºC and successfully achieved all the planned test points during a programme that focused on the powerplants. The A400M was accompanied by an Airbus A340-300 carrying support equipment and the personnel team. These tests followed preliminary cold weather work in Hamburg last December and will be followed by further tests in more extreme temperatures at Kiruna and other locations this winter and next, it said.

Brahmand Defence & Aerospace News
A400M development Grizzly 1 executed a series of dry contacts with the VC10´s fuselage-mounted hose drum unit (HDU) on the first day of the trials on 15th February, a company statement said.
From: Allan Walker, Burnley
Sent: February-11-11 15:56
Subject: Re: UKMAMS OBA OBB #021111
Hi Tony,

Once again can recognise most on the RAF Mystery photo but memory is playing up. LH side Cpl Jock (?),  SAC Tim Newstead (sittng), Sgt Howie Bumford, Sgt DK Henderson and Fg Off Gerry Keyworth. I see Jock is maintaining the UKMAMS rule of not drinking within 100m of the aircraft or not smoking within 24 hours of departure!
My first ever trip on UKMAMS. Landrover from Abingdon to Benson. Argosy from Benson to Luqa, Izmir, Eskishir, Cannes, Larbruch and Benson.  Mission to pick up Canberra Ground Crew and equipment at end of a Detatchment. At Luqa in the morning  we were delayed waiting for the Loadmaster. Turns out he fell out of a Mini-Moke taxi on his way back from a night out in downtown Luqa. Couldn't move his right arm. At Izmir a trip to the local medical centre confimed a broken arm so he ended up in a sling and was u/s for the rest of the trip.

We stepped in and acted as Loadies for the remainder of the flight. On the return trip we diverted into Cannes. The Skipper sent a radio message to order lunch for the Crew and MAMS Team to thank us for our assistance.  The passengers were herded into the transit lounge whilst we had a magnificent spread including some 6 bottles of wine (some of which were for the Crew who unfortunately could not partake). The trip from Cannes to Laarbruch was quite pleasant!

Before starting out I was given "new boy" advice about my luggage in that I should make sure I kept a hold of it at all times. After Laarbruch, with only our Team on board I was confident that there would be no problem - WRONG!  Halfway across the English Channel I counted the bags in the middle of the aircraft only to discover that one was missing.  Big smiles from all around as I had not loaded it myself.  I eventually got it back about 2 weeks later, but from then on it was " hands on luggage" all the way. Two members of that Team were Tim "the Trim" Newstead, and Cpl Jock.

I still dread arriving at my destination airport when travelling by air these days as I the last I see of my luggage is as it slides down the track away from the check-in desk. Must say thought have so far been quite lucky. (Obviously no ex-UKMAMS personnel on the check-in desks.)

Keep up the good work

Regards to all ex-UKMAMS personnel wherever they are

Happy Days!

Allan Walker

Another great newsletter.

Must get down to digging out some old photos, but seeing a couple of the guys in the photo brings back memories.
From: Tim Newstead, Cheltenham
Sent: February-13-11 9:44
Subject: RAF Mystery Photo 021111 

Hi Tony,

Another vote of thanks for another great read in the latest brief - wish I had your time and skills!

I believe that the pic was taken at Luqa, Malta in 1972 during the withdrawal of British forces from the island following some flexing of muscles by Dom Mintoff.  My logbook shows Op Mature 6-19 January 1972 - this was a follow-on from Op Chiffon (shown on the OBA website) which, I think, was the deployment of TCW to Luqa to cover the withdrawal.

The pic shows, left to right: Cpl Jimmy Jones, Fg Off Gerry Keyworth, FS Baz Shatford, Sgt Dave ‘DK’ Henderson and a sheepish looking SAC Tim Newstead in the background (don’t know who took the photo - Ian Place perhaps?).  Sheepish, as I recall, because I had recently taken a scythe of metal from a Herc elevator trim tab with a set of high-masted Shelvoke and Drewry 12k forks! 

This was the day after we (the collective we) had bent a Belfast ramp hydraulic arm attempting to unload a Houchin the quick way (ie towing it off the aircraft with a Landrover, rather than using the winch!).  The Herc had been on a 90 minute QTR - as luck had it, I got clean away with it (didn’t even make a written statement!).  OC Eng, on inspecting the damage,  said to me “Don’t worry about it, son, you can’t make an omelette without breaking eggs!”.  To cap it, the Herc captain was Maltese and ended up with a night-stop, which enabled him to visit his family - he was delighted!  Happy days!!

Keep up the good work!

Regards to all,
Yours aye
From: Robert Thacker, Lincoln
Sent: February-17-11 12:21
Subject: RAF Mystery Photo 

Hi Tony,

Can't remember the guy on the left but the rest are Tim Newstead, F/Sgt Baz Shatford, Sgt Dave 'DK' Henderson and (I think) Gerry Keyworth?  Abingdon days looking at the random selection of flying clothing.

All the Best.  Hope you’re keeping well.


From: Ian Berry, West Swindon
Sent: February-18-11 5:43
Subject: Mystery Photo - RAF 

Hi Tony,

In response to your picture = Hotel Team in front of a Condec at MAMS Hangar Abingdon circa 1971/72...

L2R: Cpl Jimmy Jones, Flt Lt Gerry Keyworth, SAC Tim Newstead, FS Baz Shatford (sadly passed away many years ago), Sgt DK Henderson

On the Condec, for our younger readers, is a 7x8 Pallet complete with net and 99 rubber stud attachments...


As I have previously mentioned, I was stationed at RAF Benson, 1962/65, in a life before MAMS;  someone should have told the powers that be that Station Air Movements at Benson wasn’t MAMS.
One winter saw the time when Benson was having problems getting rid of freezing snow and ice,
even though six motorway tar burners were employed to shift the ice off the runway. All this
seemed to accomplish was to pile large mounds of ice at the runway edge. During the daytime
everyone was kept amused by the Beverley’s from Abingdon who kindly came across to drop us
bales of straw, although the powers that be weren’t amused. All station personnel were employed
on this task, even the ladies of the WRAF and eventually, as I will relay, the Air Movements section

So there we were nice and warm playing cards and drinking lovely hot tea when all hell broke
loose! The Station Commander, while doing his rounds, had problems in stopping his land rover
which collided with the Air Movements main entrance door. We had problems with this door as
the snow was at the same height as the door and only a small gap had been cleared through. 
Well we didn’t have any shovels!  Up to that point in my service career I can honestly say that I
had never before heard a Group Captain or indeed witnessed one, who was as upset as he was.

The SAMO was on the receiving end of all this, the impromptu interview being held in the corridor just outside the crew room door, at the extreme limit of the decibel range. 

The C.O. then drove off taking half the door with him.  All of a sudden we were issued with brooms and shovels and did some 24 hour shifts, sampling the delights of the fresh air on the frozen runway.
Nevertheless, there were detachments galore to all points of the compass from this lovely part of
the world.  One detachment in particular, to Milltown in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, is vivid in my

Two aircraft were positioned at Odiham empty from Benson. We went via road transport to the
Hampshire base, with a convoy of vehicles loaded with freight for the detachment. Most of the
remaining Argosy’s were despatched to various other bases. We got the impression that it was a
punishment detachment, for not clearing the Benson runway of ice!

It was freezing cold. We took off from RAF Odiham with our cold wet weather gear on; the usual
stuff of that vintage, i.e. sea boot socks, great big boots, together with issue green jackets,
complete with a hood and trousers, and the really important gloves. Our destination was a long-
time disused airfield situated just south east of Lossiemouth on the Moray Firth, an ex-Royal
Naval Air Station airfield, RNAS Fulmar II. Who knows what we were doing there, none of us did. 
There were only two Argosy’s detached to Milltown as the aircraft parking area wasn’t big enough
to accommodate any more aircraft.
The abandoned airfield at Milltown, formerly RNAS Fulmar II, was originally built in World War II as a 'decoy' for RNAS Fulmar I (Lossiemouth) located just to the north west

On landing at this Scottish airfield, to my surprise,
there was no accommodation available, or any
buildings, only tents and marquees; guess who had
to put them up? 

There didn’t seem to be much care or maintenance
either at this long deserted desolate airfield, only
lengths of tarmac.  The weather was very windy, with
lots of sleet and rain. The temperature seemed well
below zero. The first few days was taken up with
offloading all the ground equipment and aircraft
packs, setting up Load Control, and finding out what
to do and where everything was. 

The airfield was open to all the elements. There was only one building on site, a hangar, which was full of caravans.  We were told they were in storage for sailors at sea or posted elsewhere. We thought that we had it bad enough, until we saw what the poor old cooks had to contend with, in handling their field kitchens.
The flying only took place in daylight, as there didn’t seem to be any airfield lighting facilities
available. We sort of operated, as we would have done at Benson, freight arrived and we loaded it,
and off they went. All loose loads. No pallets or side guidance.  Incidentally, the aircrew and the
officers were billeted at RAF Lossiemouth, about 4 miles away.

I had done detachments to Norway and Demark in the winter months before along with deep
snow, but we had on those occasions decent accommodation with showers and proper toilets. 
This was a two-week affair. It happened to be the longest period in my service career that I hadn’t
had a proper wash or shave. There were no laundry facilities available either. It was scary going
near the temporary ablutions. I had never experienced the cold like this before and it really
affected our ability to do the job properly. There was no escape or protection from the wind and
using chains and strainers with freezing fingers was doubly difficult.

Messing with those Tilley lamps for warmth and light in the tents almost became a full-time
occupation. Two things we learnt quickly were not to touch the lamp wicks (the ‘Mantle’) and try
not to touch the insides of the tent which would cause drips of water that could soak our kit which
was already in a poor-condition.

It became dark quite early. After work there was literally nothing to do except try to keep warm. 
We discovered that the local town was Elgin and as we had no transportation it was agreed that we
would walk, in the pitch black, the three miles or so to the town in order to taste the delights of
the local brew.  We arrived at about 9:30 and located a pub; there were no lights on, it was shut.
No one had told us that the pubs in Scotland shut earlier than in England. There was nothing
open, not a café, nothing.  So a long walk back, singing our heads off… sober!  The next time we
sort of arranged things differently and managed to get to the pub before chucking out time.

Detachments like this one stick in one’s mind, it wasn’t funny at the time, but with the passage of
time and hindsight, it’s all part of life’s rich pattern. Nope, no medals awarded either!

On my return to Benson I thought that it was about time I had a spot of leave.  I was also pleased
to see that the main entrance door had been repaired.  I was greeted with an inspection of the
billet and had been selected for Orderly Corporal and to top it off I had to report for GDT (Ground
Defence Training).

GDT was conducted by an RAF Regiment Flt. Sgt. who informed the assembled gathering that on
promotion to that rank he was not issued with feathers; he was not a Red Indian and would not
tolerate being called Chiefy!  It was assumed, by all those present, that his demand for respect,
whilst showing none for any of us, was as a result of still suffering from the after effects of the
operation, which all those of a similar position had to undergo in the RAF Regiment, in that his
brain was removed and concrete inserted.

Unfortunately there was NO escape from this ordeal, as completion of this annual course of
instruction and firing of rifles was mandatory before leave could be authorised.

Oh the joys of it all!


From: Mark Davies, Auckland 
Sent: February-11-11 15:28
Subject: Re: UKMAMS OBA OBB #021111 

Hi Tony,
Great newsletter as usual!

Now I dont normally recognise many of the Mystery Photos but I think I know what the RNZAF one is this time!  Is it a typical afternoon at Wellington Air Movements Section?


I actually 'snagged' this picture from Brian Lay's Facebook page (Is nothing safe when MAMS are around?)   I believe it might have been taken on Christmas Day in Antarctica.
From: Marco Michaud, Gatineau, QC
Sent: February-11-11 17:39
Subject: Re: UKMAMS OBA OBB #021111 

The girl in the CAF mystery photo 012111 is Pte or Cpl Melanie Larouche who has long ago left the CF.

Keep up the good work.


Marco Michaud
New members joining us recently are:
Paul Lemarshall, Richmond, NSW, Australia
"After 15 years the "Statute of Limitations" on crimes committed whilst employed in MATU has expired"
David Sheen, Amberley, Qld., Australia
"The concept of your site is fantastic, and I am sure it will allow my fellow movers the chance to catch up after all these years."
Garry Travers, Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Tomm Everett, Calgary, AB, Canada
Welcome to the OBA!

Air Force joins with Australia Post to celebrate aviation stamp issue

The sky’s the limit for military aviation enthusiasts and stamp collectors, with Australia Post’s Air Force Aviation commemorative stamp issue.

Chief of Air Force Air Marshal Mark Binksin, AO, said this was a very timely partnership for Air Force, as it celebrated its 90th birthday this year with the theme tradition, innovation, evolution.  “It is a fitting tribute to the crews and support personnel of the recently retired F-111, as they retrain for our future capability in our new platforms,” Air Marshal Binskin said.
Australia Post Philatelic Manager Michael Zsolt said, “The F-111 ‘Pig’ was, for the general public, the most identifiable RAAF aircraft for many years and so an obvious choice for this stamp issue”.

“As well as indicating the changing of the guard from F-111s to Super Hornets, this stamp issue represents a range of aircraft functions in the RAAF,” Mr Zsolt said.

New Zealand-based Australian illustrator Jamie Tufrey was commissioned to illustrate the stamp issue and has skillfully drawn attention to the speed, purpose and technical specifics of the aircraft.

The four Air Force Aviation stamps feature the F-111 (60 cents), the F/A-18F Super Hornet (60 cents), the AEW&C Wedgetail ($1.20) and the C-17 Globemaster III ($3.00).
I can't imagine the size of the envelope that stamp will go on!

Australian Government Department of Defence
From: Keith Parker, Melksham
Sent: February-12-11 15:00
The North American Eleventh Annual RAFBEA Reunion

Hi Tony,

Perhaps you or some of the other BODS might find the attachment interesting.

Cheers for now


The North American Eleventh Annual RAFBEA Reunion will be held this year on the 30th Sept. and 1st Oct. 

We have booked the RiverRock Resort and Casino for the occasion.  The resort is ideally situated in Richmond, British Columbia, adjacent to The Canada Line, part of our Rapid Transit system.  It is just 7 mins. from the Airport and 18 mins. to Downtown Vancouver.
We have booked rooms from the 29th Sept. to 1st Oct., and have negotiated a rate of $139.00 per room, if booked before Aug. 1st. Thereafter it is $159.00 per room. These rates extend 3 days before and 3 days after the event.

Additional guests are $25.00 per night per room. This rate also includes a full buffet breakfast for 2 for the duration of your stay. The rooms are all suites with a harbor or city view.
When making your reservations please use the code “Brat Eleven”.

Final details of the activities have not been finalized yet, but there will be a ‘Meet and Greet’ on
Fri. the 30th in a hospitality suite with a beer and wine bar.  We are able to supply the booze so it
will be sold at cost. 

The Saturday dinner will be buffet style at $48.00 per person, plus tax and gratuity.  There will be
some small additional costs involved but nothing significant.

As always, we would like to know early if you will be attending, so we can have some idea of
numbers and if you will be accompanied.  Please send replies to me, Dave Mattingley 

We sincerely hope to see as many of you as possible.  So come see our beautiful city and province
and have a gargle or two in the company of ‘Old’ and new friends. As our committee is quite small-
if any of the local members wish to contribute in any way, we would welcome any help or
suggestions, particularly when the reunion nears.

Just a note to clarify some points that have been raised. The room cost for two people is $139, two
breakfasts included. A third person staying in the room is an extra $25. A single person is still
$139 with a breakfast.

Also something I was not aware of. If you want a harbour view the room cost is $159.

The reservation can now be made on line using the code BRAT ELEVEN.

We will be off to Australia on the 8th of March for a month so if you any queries about the reunion
please forward them to John Lawrence 

From: Fred Moores, Frankford, ON  
Sent: February-15-11 13:59
Subject: Date change  

Hi Tony,

I'm finally retiring from the Canadian Forces on the 16 Mar 11 after 38 years as a Traffic Tech and going into a civilian position.

Could you please amend my profile to read TT, LM, MAMS and 1973-2011.

I really enjoy the Old Bods Briefs and am always looking forward to the next addition. 

Thanks again


Mr. Fred Moores
Loadmaster Instructor
426(T) Sqn SAR OTU
Loc 3753

After more than 38 years of loyal and dedicated service to the Canadian Forces, CWO F. A. Moores will be retiring on 16 March 2011. He has been a cornerstone to the Traffic Tech trade for many years, passing along his vast wealth of knowledge to his fellow 933’s.

His illustrious career has included postings at 2 AMU Trenton, CFB Gander, CFS St Johns, 429  T Sqn Trenton, 436 T Sqn Trenton, 435  T and R Sqn Edmonton / Winnipeg, and TRSET Trenton.

Additionally, CWO Moores has to his credit several United Nations and flying tours where he has accumulated a total of 8665 hrs (361 days) on several different types of airframes.  
To honour his devoted service to the Canadian Forces, the Canadian Flag was raised at 1400 hrs 01 February 2011 and lowered at 1300hrs 03 February 2011 at 8 Wing Trenton. The flying of the flag over these two days was to honour CWO Moores enrolment day 38 years ago on 02 February 1973. The flag raising ceremony was conducted by the TRSET Loadmaster Section with numerous family, friends and colleagues in attendance.

Maj Wyss (acting OC TRSET) said a few words and then presented CWO Moores with his retirement certificate. Long-time friend and associate
WO Ken Booth presented the folded Canadian flag as a token of respect and honour for the service that CWO Moores has given to his country.
Maj Wyss, CWO Fred Moores, Mrs. Kathy Moores, during the lowering of the Flag
Folding of the Flag
Presentation to Fred of the Canadian Flag by WO Booth
CWO Moores, his wife Kathy and their daughter Tisha plan on remaining in the Frankford area.
The apple won’t be far from the tree as Fred has accepted a position as a civilian instructor at 426
Sqn where his experience and knowledge will be passed on to the future SAR Loadmaster

A retirement luncheon will be held at the 8 Wing Warrant Officers & Sergeants Mess on 18 Mar
2011 at 1200 hrs. A cost of $13 per person will be charged to cover the the food and gift. If you
would like to attend this farewell luncheon, please contact WO Ken Booth. He can be contacted
via e-mail  or via telecom at 613-392-2811 ext 3051.


UK Defence Ministry Renews Air Seychelles Contract to Serve Falklands

The British Ministry of Defence has renewed its contract with Air Seychelles, singling out the satisfactory performance of the airline on its operations to the Falklands Islands.

Air Seychelles Executive Chairman, Captain David Savy has said: “The UK Ministry of Defence has stated its preference for Air Seychelles to operate the Falklands Airbridge and we have been able to secure the traffic rights to fly between UK and Falklands.
This is a good testimony of our very good capability and performance to operate flights from the
UK via Ascension Island to the Falklands”.

The UK Ministry of Defence contract awarded to Air Seychelles is to transport UK personnel to the
islands of Ascension and Falklands. It is considered a domestic service given that the point of
origin in UK and destinations in Falklands and Ascension are all British territories.

In consideration, Air Seychelles utilizes a number of British nationals as flight crew on this
particular route.

As a result, Air Seychelles will continue operating twice weekly flights between UK and Falklands
as from March 2011.

Speaking in January last year, when Air Seychelles first launched the Falklands Airbridge flights,
President James Michel hailed the national airline’s services as a mark of the high standing and
the professionalism and dedication of its staff.

President Michel spoke of the increasingly competitive international airline market and saw it
encouraging for Air Seychelles to seek to adopt innovative business practices beyond its core

‘Innovation is key to Seychelles being ready for the future and we congratulate Air Seychelles for
taking the lead in this way” he said in his congratulatory message, last year.

Air Seychelles operates a B767-300ER aircraft which operates from the Brize Norton Royal Air
Force base in Oxfordshire, England to the Ascension Islands and then on to the Falklands in the
South Atlantic, off the southern tip of South America.

Mount Pleasant in the Falklands is one of the southernmost aerodromes on our planet and the
Falklands is often used as last staging post for expeditions to the Antarctic.

The national airline’s experience of flying 767s to isolated island locations was another major
advantage for the renewal of the contract especially Wide Awake airfield on Ascension and the
RAF Mount Pleasant airfield on the Falklands are both isolated.

Air Seychelles was also considered the best choice as it is one of the world’s most experienced
B767 operators with over 21 years of extended-range operations.

From: Don Hunter, Muscat  
Sent: February-18-11 5:59
Subject: Situation Vacant 

Hi Tony,

Still enjoying life and earning a crust in this lovely part of the world that many movers know well from Masirah, Salalah and Seeb days. Temperature today a lovely 25c and light breezes - perfect!

I have a position vacant here at Oman Air, based in Muscat. I wonder if you could post it on the next newsletter?  Many thanks if this is possible.

Don Hunter
Kilo Team 1973-76
Now Chief Officer Airport Operations
Oman Air

Situation Vacant:

General Manager, Air Cargo Operations, Oman Air

Based in Muscat, Oman, initially a 2 year, tax free contract.   Role is to manage a fast growing air cargo operation and oversee the planning and development of a new cargo facility, due to open in 2014.  A staff of approx 250 need leadership and guidance to bring the operation up to date.

Competitive tax free salary, housing, education and transport allowances as well as the usual airline discounted travel benefits.

This position needs to be filled very quickly, so only those who are almost immediately available should consider applying.

To do so, please email Don Hunter at
From: Tony Gale, Gatineau, QC
To: Budgie Baigent, Woodbourne, New Zealand
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 07:26:11 -0500
Subject: The South Island

Hi Budgie,

We have all been following the tragic events in Christchurch and environs with disbelief and sadness.

If there’s anything that the OBA can do to help then please don’t hesitate to let us know.

You’re not alone.


From: Budgie Baigent, Woodbourne
Sent: February-26-11 16:34
Subject: RE: The South Island 

Hi Tony,

A very kind gesture, thank you so much. 

From all accounts our current and ex RNZAF pers appear to have been spared tragedy but there is an awful lot of work to be done in the coming days, months, years. 

Luckily the annual Operation Antarctica season is drawing to a close this week so our resources are still in place to continue with the large influx of aid aircraft.  Our team will be busy for a while, supplemented by Movers from around the country.

Once again, many thanks for your kind offer.

From: David Powell, Princes Risborough
Sent: February-22-11 13:21
Subject: RE: Sandy Sandiford 

Dear Tony,

So sorry to learn the sad news that Sandy Sandiford has moved on to catch up with the magnificent movers.

Although never (officially) with me on F team, he was always a very welcome ‘gap stopper’ which F team seemed to acquire (especially on overseas trips!) to cover any absences on leave etc.  

His big smile, cheerful laugh and incredible wheeler dealing in the barter market will remain with me forever.  I can honestly say that he was one of the nicest guys I ever had the pleasure of knowing.

It was just such a pity that because of the Alzheimer’s
he was not able to continue to share his memories with us - now that would be one heck of a book!

David Powell  F Team 1967-69

From: David Eggleton, Abingdon 
Sent: March-01-11 3:55
Subject: Sandy Sandiford

I served on E team UKMAMS Abingdon with Sandy for a good time.

He was one of the best movers you could have on your team, able to load any current transport
aircraft with his long experience. On our team he worked closely with Dave Hammond and Jock

Sandy always made his views known, would keep going to the end of the task in hand. If we
needed anything, he was a wonderful scrounger, especialy searching out food, with his smile and
good humour he was one of the best. It was so very sad to visit him when he had Dementia. He is
now at peace, but my memories linger on.

Among those present at the funeral ceremony and gathering afterwards (unfortunately not all of
them were in the photograph) were: Bryan Morgan, Dave Powell, Terry Roberts, Jim Marchant, Ian
Berry, George Lynes, Colin & Marilyn Eyre, Ken & Shirley Brown, Sam Heaphy, Charlie Cormack,
John Cockayne and myself.

The Royal British Legion Standard Bearer from Abingdon was also in attendance.

The family were so pleased that so many UKMAMS stalwarts attended. I passed over the emails
that had been kindly sent.


Dave Egg

Jim Marchant, Shirley Browne, Ian Berry, Terry Roberts, Sandy’ Son #1, Terry Sandiford,
Ken Browne, Sandy’s Son #2, Sam Heaphy, Dave Eggleton, Marilyn Eyres, Colin Eyres

British military planes in daring Libya desert rescue

Two British military aircraft swooped into strife-torn Libya on February 26 and evacuated more than 150 foreign nationals from remote camps in the desert, the defence minister said.

The Royal Air Force C130 Hercules transport planes involved in the daring rescue later landed in Malta after picking up the civilians from south of Benghazi, said Defence Secretary Liam Fox. 
Britain also closed its embassy in Tripoli after evacuating all staff on the last government-
chartered flight out of the the capital, amid mounting violence by forces loyal to Libyan leader
Moamer Kadhafi.

"I can confirm that two RAF C130 Hercules aircraft have evacuated more than 150 civilians from
desert locations south of Benghazi," Fox said. The mission was cloaked in secrecy but it has been
reported that it involved troops from Britain's elite Special Boat Service who are normally tasked
with maritime counterterrorism.

It said the planes entered Libyan airspace without permission and flew to the town of Nafoora in
eastern Libya, before splitting up and heading to Amal and Wafa in the oil fields.

British newspapers reported that the workers were scattered in different compounds and that it
was difficult to get the message to all Britons.

"While we sat on the aircraft waiting to take off there were reports of gunfire and all of a sudden
another 20 or 30 guys were stuffed on the aircraft and we took off," Nigel Bilton, one of those
rescued, was quoted as saying by The Sunday Times.

"I think things were starting to hot up. We flew treetop all the way across the desert, it was quite
spectacular. It was a big, big relief to see those guys," said Bilton, who was working for Siemens in
southern Libya.

The defence ministry said it would not comment on the movements of special forces and gave no
further details.

Emirates 24/7

From: Mike Gerigk, Port Alberni, BC  
Sent: February-16-11 17:58
Subject: Staying in Touch  

Hi Tony,

Thought I might let you know, I keep in touch with none other that Bruce Oram who now lives in Alicante Spain. 

He's been a friend since 1977 when we were stationed in Bardufoss, Norway, for NATO excercises.  We were together as a international team, consisting of Canadians, British, German and Italian MAMS team.  Had a good time. 

Keep up the good work.

Mike Gerigk

Celebrating 60 years of Air Movements

On 1 April 2011, 2 Air Movements Squadron will be celebrating its 60th anniversary. No. 2 Movements Unit and later changed to 2 Air Movements Unit (2 AMU), was originally formed from the unit 901 Air Traffic Handling Unit detachment (901 ATHU) on 1 April 1951 at RCAF Station Lachine at Dorval Airport.

The unit inherited the role, duties, and responsibilities from 901 ATHU of which included the efficient and economical handling of passengers, freight and mail as well as support to 426 Squadron and later 437 Squadron with Air Traffic Assistants (presently called Loadmasters). 
The Unit operated with two line crews who worked a schedule of 24 hours on and 24 hours off
duty loading aircraft

Up to 1958, it was not unusual for an Air Traffic Assistant to find himself working at the AMU as a
passenger receptionist or an aircraft loader and flying the next day.  In those days, to have 140
hours of flying and seven days working on line crew in a single month was not unrealistic.

During the Unit’s early years, 2 AMU was involved in the Korean Airlift, many Leap Frog
Operations, Northern Re-supply, and the Suez Canal Crisis. In 1952, with the addition of the C-
119 Flying Boxcar to the RCAF, the Unit was equipped with two forklifts, two carts, three pry bars,
and 18 wooden pallets for its aircraft loading responsibilities.

The original home of 2 AMU was at Dorval airport in “D” bay, no.6 hanger, a home shared with
Goose Bay Detachment and part of 426 Squadron. The Unit was moved to a larger facility at Dorval
Airport in 1956, only to be left homeless as a result of a fire that completely destroyed the
Terminal.  2 AMU soon moved to Trenton, Ontario in 1959, the same year, the RCAF acquired the
CC106 Yukon Aircraft. Its arrival marked the commencement of regular transatlantic passenger
and cargo flights. This resulted in thousands of tons of freight and thousands of passengers
transiting through 2 AMU facilities each year.

In the 1960s, three Mobile Air Movements Sections (MAMS) were established at Trenton to
support the increased frequency of global operations. The teams deployed extensively on
operations such as Operation Boxtop (the re-supply of CFS Alert) and Operation Snowgoose (the
rotation of Canadian troops to/from Cyprus).

In 1975, a new cargo terminal was established in 1 Hanger, with modern scales and a rollerized
floor.  Later that year, the AMU also received Royal Assent for its crest and the motto Nunquam
Non Paratus - Never Unprepared. The Unit participated in almost every operation undertaken by
Air Transport Group in the 1970's and 1980's. Notably, the Unit received a Chief of the Defense
Staff Commendation for its significant contribution to the Operations Friction, Scimitar and
Scalpel in 1991.  The Unit name was changed to 2 Air Movements Squadron on 1 April 1992 with
the adaptation of the Wing concept within the Air Force.

In 2007, the Squadron was awarded the Gordon R. McGregor Trophy for outstanding and
meritorious achievement in air transportation.  The citation read: "The Squadron's superlative
customer service and resolute focus on the operational imperative did not waiver in light of
tremendous increases to the operational tempo and the demand associated with Canada's shifting
national priorities and her participation in the campaign against terrorism”.

The Squadron again was awarded a Chief of the Defense Staff Commendation, as well as the
Gordon R. McGregor Trophy in 2010, in recognition of the unit’s ability to have maintained
unprecedented levels of activity while simultaneously supporting earthquake relief efforts in Haiti
through Operation Hestia, support to the Vancouver 2010 Olympics through Op Podium and
ongoing support to Afghanistan through Op Athena.

Today, 2 Air Movements Squadron processes an average of 36 million pounds of freight, baggage
and mail and 42,000 passengers annually. The Squadron operates from 1 and 2 Hangars as well
as from a new passenger emplaning facility, which opened in 1997. The Squadron continues to
live up to its proud tradition of supporting airlift operations and contributing to 8 Wing's global Air
Mobility mandate.

As part of the 60th anniversary celebrations, the Squadron plans to mark the occasion with a
plaque dedication ceremony at the Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport, formerly Dorval
airport, in the vicinity of where the unit was originally formed.

If you are interested in joining the celebrations that will take place around the 60th anniversary,
you can contact 2 Air Movements Squadron, Captain Todd Curtis at 613-392-2811 extension
3688.  The weekend activities will take place in Trenton, beginning with a meet and greet on
Friday 01 April.  The main events will take place on Saturday 2 April, and in true Mover fashion,
with the Squadron participating in Traffic Tech games (a rodeo) followed by a pig roast and live
From: Jack Riley, Urangan, Qld. 
Sent: February-16-11 20:18
Subject: Good weekend.   

Hi Tony,

I could not tell from this end whether or not you had seen Alex Masson’s email; how hard he
works for “good causes.”

On a lesser scale I started a Monday Night Club here a couple of years ago where we bowl under
lights and cover 52 weeks a year. We now have 160 members, both men and women, of whom 60-
70 bowl every Monday. Not only do we have fun but we also manage to do a lot for charity. Simply
put, we fine one another for “transgressions” … things like sending bowls down on the wrong
bias… or the more complicated ones of “Not sending your other half a Valentine Card.”

For the most part we try to look after youngsters in our local community.  So far we have raised
$700 for the Bush Fire appeal; $250 for Junior Development; $500 to train Nippers in Surf Life
Saving; $500 for a Junior Gym in our local Community Centre; $300 for Legacy (service
widows/widowers and orphans); $250 for Quiltz for Kidz … (a local group of ladies who make
specialty quilts for kids in hospital with life threatening illnesses such as leukemia and cancer); 
….$500 for the Children’s Ward in our local hospital and also came up with $400 in sponsorship
for local carnivals.

Last Sunday we put out 8 teams of 4 in our local Flood Appeal Day.

The point is not “How clever we are” but that, as John Lennon had it,  “Make peace not war.”  
Whatever our age or circumstances we can all do something to help those in our local community
who are less fortunate than ourselves.

I am sure we would all be interested to know what our members are already doing, and perhaps
be inspired to greater efforts.

Go to it


Hello Jack,

I have just been looking at some pictures of twisted railway lines in Queensland! It is truly
amazing the damage caused by the floods. With the foundations washed away it’s small wonder
that the rails buckled!

We had a good weekend. Saturday evening was the 65th Anniversary Dinner Dance of our branch
of the RASC/RCT Association (you will remember I was seconded to the RASC and trained as an
Air Despatcher for parachute dropping, jeeps, tanks, guns, stores and ammunition etc., when I
was serving in 1956.)

We had the acting CO of 13 Air Assault Regiment from Colchester along with a dozen or more
serving soldiers of all ranks as our guests. They form the rear party while the majority of their
colleagues are currently in Afghanistan. It was a Black Tie Dinner with the Army lads (and lasses)
resplendent in their Mess Kit.

It went off very well and we presented them with a cheque for £3,000 to help pay for a party when
the lads return from active service next month. I may have mentioned, we hosted their wives and
children at a party at Christmas.




RAF delivers fuel tanker to Malta

Royal Air Force movements to Malta have not been limited to evacuating people from Libya. An aircraft fuel tanker has arrived at its new workplace at the airport aboard an RAF Boeing C17. 

Delivery of the new Enemalta bowser, which will reinforce its fleet, was made free of charge.  The corporation said the fleet has been used “to maximum capacity” to be able to meet the demand of the various aircraft making use of the Maltese facilities.
“I am very pleased to have been asked to bring this important cargo here to Malta given the recent focus of attention resulting from the evacuation of civilians from Libya,” said the Boeing’s pilot David Manning.

“It may look like a tight fit but we still have room for another 10,000 lbs of cargo and another 30-40 passengers.”

Louise Stanton, British High Commissioner to Malta, said: “Given all the hard work that has been put in at the airport over the last 10 days to facilitate the evacuation of so many civilians from Libya, it is befitting that the UK has been able to deliver the fuel tanker directly to the airport where it will be used.”

Times of Malta

RAAF salutes 90 years with 180,000 fans

AVALON'S Australian International Airshow underlined platinum status among the world's best as it saluted 90 years of Royal Australian Air Force history and stretched attendance records. Organisers believe attendance across the show's public days will top 180,000, ranking it among the biggest in a distinguished history.

Sublime weather and the RAAF's 90th anniversary celebrations combined to draw immense family crowds across the weekend, compensating for a dip in attendance on a cold and windy Friday evening. 
"It's great that our 10th show at Avalon is definitely our best ever in terms of quality and variety and the comprehensive array of displays which people were able to see," show chief executive Ian Honnery said.

"I'm just so delighted, we've struggled hard over the course of 10 airshows to build this up at Avalon and we have now built it from the fledgling first show into one of the world's great airshows and I think that is a wonderful achievement for the people of Geelong.
"We wouldn't have been able to do it without the support of the Geelong community and I can't
emphasise that enough."

The show bristled with unprecedented display of military aircraft from the Australian, US, UK,
French and Italian air forces.  Jets including the B1-B bomber and Super Hornets thrilled patrons
with shows of power and a line-up of warbirds signposted eras in RAAF history.

RAAF Air Commodore David Pietsch rated its role as centrepiece celebration of the 90th
anniversary as outstanding.

"We're very, very happy with the way the show's gone from an Australian Defence Force
perspective, particularly air force being our 90th year," Air Commodore Pietsch said.

"Being part of an international airshow gives us exceptional exposure but in particular it gives
opportunity to show to the Australian public a significant element of a deployed air force.

"I'm very proud of the military displays, I think they are the best military displays that we have
ever presented."

The mighty attendance across the weekend almost overflowed the show carparks and caused some
delays on the Princes Freeway between Melbourne and Avalon.

Mr Honnery said use of expanded tarmac space at Avalon's domestic terminal had expanded
display capacity and 619 aircraft had been part of the show.

He said the Australian International Airshow was locked in at Avalon until 2015 with a further
conditional agreement involving Avalon Aiport and the Victorian Government pointing the way to
shows until 2025.

Geelong Advertiser

This issue is dedicated to the memory of Sandy Sandiford