28 November 2008


New members joining us recently are:


Mike Perks, Lutterworth, UK

Ron Turley, Doha, Qatar & Davao, Philippines Tony, I am really happy to see you got the site up and running again! Karl Hibbert came around to my place here in Doha the other night and we told a few tall tales of times passed while he emptied my refrigerator of cold ones. He was on his way to Thailand and the Philippines where he visited me last year. Have been going back through the Briefs and sorry to see some great guys have left us for good. Keep up the good work.

Doug Dearing, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

Dave Lawrence, Frankford, ON, Canada  

Welcome to the OBA!


From: Tony Street, Buffalo, NY
Sent: 15 November 2008 11:11
Subject: The Milkmen

Hi Tony,

In 1967 I was on 437(T) Sqn as a Yukon Loadmaster and on a month-long Staff College trip throughout Africa. During this mission we ended up in Addis Ababa for three days.

Each outfit has its own Milo Minderbinder of the movie "Catch Twenty Two" fame; this is a story of ours.

I had been given the name of a chap, Hugh Grant; a UN type in Addis, by a fellow in Accra, our previous stop. We were told that Hugh had been a Major in the British army who took his retirement in Addis after WWII. Subsequently, his wife left him and his beautiful daughter and bogged off back to the UK by herself. Hugh had turned into a man about town and if anyone could show us around Addis, it was he.

The evening of our arrival, I called Hugh and made a date to meet in the hotel bar with my roomie, Howie Fletcher next evening. We met as planned and Hugh explained his work and we became friendly, especially with his daughter who seldom saw any young western men as they were all living in a UN compound and fraternization with the outside world was discouraged.

After downing several beer and a $27.00 bottle of Scotch (remember this is in ’67 dollars), Hugh volunteered to take us to “Number One Bar.” “It’s a little out of the way,” said Grant, “But my trusty liberated British Army Land Rover’ll get us there” We mounted up.

We left Addis on a highway which quickly turned into a gravel road. We turned off this onto a dirt road and entered the darkness of the Abyssinian jungle leaving all vestiges of light and civilization behind. The only illumination was that of our dim headlights punching holes in the void. We drove for what seemed like an eternity, taking swigs in turn from a second bottle of Scotch that Hugh always had under his seat. “Never know when one must have one to negotiate with the locals, by God,” observed Hugh. Occasionally you could see a furtive movement at the edge of our lights that came and went in a flash. Visions of blow-guns danced in my heads, as I remembered all the cannibal stories I’d ever heard.

Eventually, we entered a small village laid out in African style like a hub and spokes. At the hub was Number One Bar, post office, general store, clinic etc. all in crammed into a small, circular building. We went into the bar and were met by more darkness dimly lit by a sputtering Coleman lantern in the far corner of the room. As we went to the bar, and became adjusted to the darkness, I noticed that there were quite a few patrons in the place. We got our beer and went further into the murk, making our way to a table at the rear, occupied by four guys. Introductions all around revealed they were UN chaps who worked with Hugh, who chose to drink here as they couldn’t afford the prices in Addis.

We all sat down and conversation ensued. These guys, including a Canadian from Montreal were there for the money. Conditions were such that they earned every red cent. In fact, the Montrealer chucked it in the next day and came back to Canada with us.

Eventually one of the guys asked, “What the hell bring you guys here.” Explanations were made. Another guy remarked, “437 Squadron and Yukons, Eh? You guys know Randy Mack?”

Chocking on my beer, recognizing the names of our squadron mates, I ‘fessed up. The gent went on, “Him’n’ that other nice guy, George Spanner, used to bring us cold milk from Pisa when we were in Leopoldville a few years ago running the evacuation airlift. They used to sell it to us for only $1.00 US a quart by the case, nice guys!”

Howie and I exchanged glances, both wondering if we should tell them that the cases of milk they had been buying were their very own UN rations.

As they were splendid fellows, and they were buying us beer, we didn’t.

Many thanks Tony. Thanks also for the four (count 'em - four!) articles on the OBA site, accessed through the Canadian Portal

The opposite sides of a dice cube always add up to seven.

Airbus: A400M flight debut could slip until second half of 2009

Airbus does not expect the first flight of the A400M transport before the second half of 2009, says executive vice-president programmes Tom Williams.

At an event at the Airbus UK plant in Filton on 24 November, Williams said the A400M programme's engine supplier, Europrop International, had missed "several dates" for delivery of a plan for completion of the TP400-D6 turboprop engine's full-authority engine control software, which has yet to gain European Aviation Safety Agency level design approval. He characterised the situation as a "moving feast", and commented that "the software development is taking longer than anticipated".

The FADEC is being developed by MTU Aero Engines, a partner in the Europrop consortium alongside ITP, Rolls-Royce and Snecma.

Williams does not expect a resolution of the FADEC issues before the middle of 2009 "at the earliest", placing a first flight of the military transport in the second half of the year. However, he later described this as "a rough guess", adding that Airbus could not formulate a plan for the aircraft until it receives details of Europrop's plan.

Despite the programme's problems Williams is confident that the A400M will be an "excellent airplane" with "strong export potential". Noting the "complex" technology it deploys, he said that the aircraft stretched "the art of the possible" in aircraft design. "It will be worth waiting for," he predicted.

Williams also confirmed that Airbus is in discussion with the programme's partner governments toward its goal of a renegotiated A400M contract. At present, "the balance of risk is weighted to industry", he said.

© Flight International


From: Alex Masson, Chelmsford
Sent: 14 November 2008 18:12
Subject: Poppy Appeal

Hello each,

As you can see, I was back fundraising again for those who ‘served’ in all Forces and their dependants.

Our launch for the Poppy Appeal was on the day I returned from holiday – luckily our RAFA stall was inside the Mall – the British Legion decided to locate outside – they wished they hadn’t – the weather was cold and very wet.

Our RAFA Stall - Focused on the job at hand!

One of the Army Association pipe bands

Royal British Legion stall and Chairman

Army motorcycle club - new bikes!
The soldier at left had just returned from a sandy place.

Ex-army motorcycle enthusiast

The re-enactment group

The target of £30,000 has been well exceeded this year – we raised more than £5,000 in this Mall and the RAFA stall took a healthy chunk of it.

Of all the Forces and ex Forces personnel present there were no ‘Movers’ other than myself – but then, we are a ‘rare breed!

Cheers each!


The most popular Campbell's Soup in Hong Kong is watercress and duck gizzard

From: Tony Street, Buffalo, NY
Sent: 14 November 2008 20:30
Subject: Re: UKMAMS OBA OBB #111408

Good newsletter, Tony!

I couldn't find the C130 Jet Pack Video on U Tube and was wondering if you were aware of what those tests were for?

TG response: Operation Credible Sport – rescuing of the Iranian hostages from within a sports arena…

Yep, years ago when I was in industry, I met the flight engineer on that a/c at a party at Dayton Ohio.  He was very drunk and told us about it. At that time the program was still classified and his story was met with skepticism. However, lo, these many years later...

I wonder what's out there now that we don't know about?


Tony Street


Mission to save injured soldiers

It took just over 24 hours on an RAF mercy mission to fly home British soldiers critically injured in Afghanistan. Military doctors and nurses based at RAF Lyneham in Wiltshire are keeping up a round-the-clock rescue mission for soldiers seriously injured on the front line in Afghanistan. The BBC has had exclusive access to one of their recent flights to the British base in the Helmand Province - home of some of the worst fighting in Afghanistan. The team is part of a flying hospital which can get the wounded back home in just 24 hours.

THURSDAY 6 NOVEMBER 0100 GMT A technical hitch on the C-17 Globemaster cargo plane means the flight from RAF Brize Norton is slow to get away. A six-strong team of RAF doctors, nurses and technicians, have set up their makeshift intensive care unit in the back of the giant transporter plane. The aluminium floor of the aircraft is cold, so they make me a bed using a battlefield stretcher.
0800 GMT A few hours of sleep is interrupted for a landing at a military base in Qatar, where it is time for fresh pilots and more fuel. With the four jet engines off we can actually talk, so I learn more about the mission. A Royal Marine has been seriously injured by an improvised explosive device. He has lost his left foot, and has serious injuries to a hand and his face and needs to be back in the UK as soon as possible for surgery. Another soldier has a severe injury to his right leg after a road crash.
1045 GMT We take off from Qatar with the replacement pilots. They tell me emergency evacuation flights from Afghanistan come out of the blue every two weeks or so, and the plane is laid on especially for the mission.
1330 GMT The landing into the British base at Camp Bastion in Helmand Province is always risky. The pilots throw the plane left and right in the dark - just in case we are in the insurgents' sights. In the back, the medical team is ready to start work.
1520 GMT The injured are on board on stretchers mounted four feet off the ground and we take off from Camp Bastion. The doctors and nurses are hard at work around them in the dark. The Royal Marine is sedated, his head completely bandaged. A nurse tells me that patients are sometimes in a coma for weeks, sedated in Afghanistan and then brought round at Selly Oak Hospital in Birmingham. They keep a diary for the patients - to help the soldiers piece their lives back together.
2200 GMT The soldier injured in a road accident is in trouble. His injured right leg is going white, the skin waxy and cold to touch, a sign of poor blood circulation. The medics decide they cannot afford to wait to get to the UK. The pilots divert to a US military base in Germany - where the soldier gets immediate surgery.
FRIDAY 7 NOVEMBER 0200 GMT We land at East Midlands Airport where a waiting NHS ambulance takes the injured Royal Marine and his RAF carers straight to a military wing at Selly Oak Hospital. We have done nearly 8,000 miles of flying in just over 24 hours. But for all - it is mission accomplished.


A hardboiled egg will spin. An uncooked or softboiled egg will not.

From: Steve Richardson, Trenton, ON
Sent: 13 November 2008 22:36
Subject: CAF Mystery Photo-111408


The photo was taken at The Knights of Columbus Hall during the Logistics Movers Association reunion in Trenton, Ontario.

Checking to see if they have the winning numbers for the liquor bottles draw are: Eugene 'Hank' Snow, Jim White (the elder) and Fred Moores. They are all ex-presidents of the LMA.

By the way, do I get a free trip to Gatineau?

All the best, Cheers!!

Steve Richardson

Thanks Steve. Yes, you do win a free trip to Gatineau; just pop into your local gas/petrol station and tell the attendant that Tony sent you and he'll fill your tank up at no cost!


From: Bill Kelley
To: Charles Collier, Devizes, UK
Sent: 14 November 2008 13:31
Subject: Re: Valiant Q Feel system


Thanks for your bit on the Valiant.

As an ex-Valiant Crew chief I have scratched my head and come up with the following about the 'Q' feel.

As you say the object of the system was to provide an artificial back pressure or 'feel' to the pilot when handling the controls. If you remember, on top of the rear fuselage at the base of the fin leading edge there was an air intake. This fed air pressure relative to the aircraft speed into that large canister you mention. This was felt on a diaphragm which resulted in a variable amount of back pressure, the faster the aircraft went the more the opposition to the pilot moving the controls thus eliminating any chance of bending the aircraft through "over controlling". The control surfaces were operated by hydraulic servos.

During my time on 138 Sqn at Wittering and 49 Sqn at Marham I do not recall any work on our Valiants such as you describe but of course this might have been done in ASF when they went in for major servicing out of my control.



Hands up all those people who have either an egg or a dice - or both - sitting on their desk right now!

From: Jim White, Colborne, ON
Sent: 14 November 2008 14:39
Subject: Re: UKMAMS OBA OBB #111408

CAF Mystery photo #103108 is not CFB Trenton. I know not where it is but, it is definitely not Trenton, Ontario, Canada.

The new mystery photo (#111408) is none other than your's truly MWO (ret) Jim White flanked on my left by CWO (ret) B.E. (Hank) Snow and CWO Fred Moores. The photo was taken at the 2006 LMA Reunion.

Have a great day.


Thanks Jim - I can't verify if the Trenton photo is correct or not as the original (source) is no longer available.

I tried getting an image from Google Earth but the area in and around Trenton has no detail - probably intentionally blocked access. So, it remains a mystery...

Thanks for the details on the LMA reunion picture - you also win a trip to Gatineau - you'll have to ride with Steve Richardson though...




Sent: 14 November 2008 08:20
Subject: Overseas Volunteers


The latest requirements for overseas volunteers are:

Position: Location: Effective Date: Apply by latest:
Corporal Akrotiri, Cyprus May 2009 02 February 2009
Corporal Akrotiri, Cyprus June 2009 02 February 2009
Sergeant Dulles, DC, USA 29 May 2009 02 February 2009
Sergeant Madrid, Spain 04 December 2009 02 February 2009
Flight Sergeant Brunssum, Netherlands 26 June 2009 02 March 2009
Flight Sergeant Akrotiri, Cyprus 03 July 2009 09 March 2009
Flight Sergeant Naples, Italy 13 July 2009 16 March 2009

You know who to contact if interested in any of the above positions.



Flamingos pee on their legs to cool themselves off.

From: Murdo Macleod, Newport-on-Tay,
Sent: 14 November 2008 12:57
Subject: OBA

What's happening Tony?

I 'aint heard from you in a coon's age. Are you still with us and what happened about you starting up again?

I've many a time thought that maybe all the Movers should have a re-union sometime which could be the piss-up of the century. What do you think?

I just had an e-mail from an old mate at Benson and blimey that was about 36-37 years ago. Where did all the time go?

I appear to be in some kind of limbo up here in the wilds of north Fife where I get an occasional e-mail from an old mate. Where or what has happened to everyone? Haven't heard from Willie Crossley, Derek Barron, Paddy Power since the cows came home, and does anyone know the whereabouts of John Cockayne, Kevin Timms, Brian "Blue" Moss, Geoff Portlock, John Gardner, Eddie Edwards, John Mahon and Kevin Booth?

Come on you lot, get e-mailing, I do answer, wheres your gossip?

Life doesn't end at de-mob you know.


Murdo Macleod

Hmmmm - we have a problem, it's likely that all the OBA mailings are ending up in Murdo's junk mail box...


From: Tony Gale, Gatineau, QC
Sent: 14 November 2008 14:18
To: Charles Gibson, Dundee, Scotland
Subject: Lost Old Bods

Hi Charles,

I wonder if I could impose on you to make some local phone calls and get in touch with a couple of Old Bods that appear to have fallen by the wayside.

  1. Murdo MacLeod,  Fife, 01382-541812  I did receive an e-mail from him today, but I fear whatever I’m sending him is ending up in the junk mail.  Please give him the website address.

  2. Gordon Fraser, Fife, 01592-716802  I haven’t had his correct/current e-mail address for a long time – please ask him for his e-mail address and give him the website address


Many thanks Charles

Best regards

Tony Gale

Senegalese women spend an average of 17.5 hours a week just collecting water.

From: Charlie Gibson, Dundee
Sent: 14 November 2008 15:21
Subject: Re: Lost Old Bods


Have phoned, got Murdo MacLeod and had a grand blether. It was amazing as in the same batch of e-mails my pal from Boy Entrants days, Taff Price, had advised me that a Murdo MacLeod stayed close to me and Taff had invited him round to my place for Sunday lunch! I gave Murdo the website address and explained that you had been trying to get in touch.

Sorry to say that I was unable to get in touch with Gordon Fraser on 01592 716802. The number was not recognised; the code number is for Kircaldy in Fife. If you have anything else on him I could try a visit.

I have never contributed any input to the group. I was on UKMAMS at Abingdon 1967/68 when the boss was Sqn Ldr Jacobs. I met Bob Turner at the Wiltshire Golf and Country Club last year when I was visiting Lyneham.

I love reading all the stories on the site and spend a lot of time on my PC as I had a stroke in 1992 so mobility is a wee problem; driving is ok but walking is a bit of a nuisance.

Anyway keep up the good work and any help I can give you let me know.

Take care

Chas Gibson

Thank you so much Chas. If anyone has any information about Gordon Fraser please let me know. In the meantime Chas take it easy... your own well being should be at the top of your priority list.


From: James Aitken, Brisbane
Sent: 14 November 2008 18:09
Subject: Charlie Foxtrot.....

Flight Lieutenant Charley Fox, who has died aged 88, was one of Canada's most successful fighter pilots, credited with destroying many trains and vehicles in addition to shooting down at least four aircraft in combat; among the vehicles he destroyed was a German staff car, and recent research suggests that one of the passengers was Field Marshal Erwin Rommel.

Late on the afternoon of July 17 1944 Fox was leading another Spitfire from his squadron – No 412 RCAF – on an armed reconnaissance sortie over Normandy when he spotted a large staff car carrying four people in addition to the driver.

Fox dived on the car and opened fire with his 20mm cannons.

The driver lost control of the Horch convertible and Fox and his wingman saw it crash into a ditch.

Later that evening reports were received that Rommel had been severely injured following an attack by Allied aircraft, and by nightfall the pilots of a USAAF fighter, two Typhoons and a Spitfire had claimed the credit. Fox had already submitted his mission report but, on hearing that Rommel's car had been destroyed at the same time as his attack, he and the squadron intelligence officer were convinced that he was responsible. He entered it in his logbook, but rarely mentioned the incident afterwards.

There was some disparity between the various pilots' accounts, and the "Who got Rommel?" debate led to numerous theories and much debate. In 2004 a Canadian aviation historian carried out a detailed assessment of the official RCAF and German military records, and the latter specifically mentioned a Spitfire rather than an American aircraft. After confirming the times, location and sortie profiles, he reviewed the claims of others and concluded that it was Fox who had delivered the damaging attack.

Charles William Fox was born on February 26 1920 at Guelph, Ontario, and educated locally. He started work as a decorator but enlisted in the RCAF in October 1940. On completion of his pilot training he was assessed as above average and retained as a flying instructor. In May 1943 he finally achieved his wish to be a fighter pilot and began training in Quebec. During the course his Harvard was involved in a mid-air collision, and he was forced to bail out. He arrived in England in August, and after further training joined 412 (RCAF) Squadron in January 1944 to fly Spitfires.

Fox led many ground attack sorties in the lead-up to D-Day – including three on the day of the invasion. On June 18 his squadron flew to an improvised airstrip in Normandy, from where it was heavily involved in attacking enemy vehicles and locomotives.

During the summer offensive he shot down two enemy fighters and damaged four others, but most of his sorties were against ground targets. Many of these were in the face of intense anti-aircraft fire, and he was awarded a DFC for his "exceptional courage and skill in pressing home his attacks against the enemy".

In December 1944 Fox led No 412 on an attack against enemy airfields in the Munster area and shot down a Focke Wulf 190.

Three days later he accounted for another German fighter and damaged a bomber.

By the time he was rested at the end of January 1945 he had been credited with destroying or damaging 22 locomotives and 153 vehicles, in addition to his successes against aircraft. He had flown 224 operational sorties, and in February was awarded a Bar to his DFC.

In August 1945, after a period on operational staff duties, during which he managed to fly a few more operations in Spitfires, Fox returned to Canada. He was released from the RCAF a month later.

In the peace that followed he joined the RCAF Auxiliary and served with No 420 Reserve Squadron flying Harvards, Mustangs and the early jet fighters. He later transferred to fighter controller duties, finally completing his service in May 1961.

Fox was appointed an honorary colonel with 412 Squadron in April 2004, and presented with a painting by Lance Russwurm of his Spitfire attacking Rommel's car.

On his return to Canada after the war Fox had been approached by the grieving mother of a friend of his who had been killed in action. The distraught woman grabbed Fox and asked him: "Why my son, and not you?" – to which he had replied: "I don't know why not me." This encounter affected him deeply, and he committed himself to recounting the stories of fellow Canadian veterans. His crusade to inform
school children, historical societies and serving troops became known as Torch Bearers Canada. Fox traveled widely to fulfil speaking engagements and he fought tenaciously with school boards to ensure that Remembrance Day ceremonies continued to be held.

He also campaigned hard for the recognition of Polish veterans who had worked closely with the 1st Canadian Army; and at the time of his death was raising money to send 5,000 Canadian schoolchildren to Holland in 2010 to mark the 65th Anniversary of the Canadian Army's leading role in its liberation.

In an interview with The Maple Leaf, a newspaper dealing with defence issues, he said: "I have a passion for seeing groups of veterans recognised, and we must do something to give our fallen heroes the recognition they deserve."

Fox continued to fly for many years and was a member and past president of the Canadian Harvard Aircraft Association. In later years he acted as a ground controller for the association's flypasts and was a regular commentator at air shows.

At the time of his death Fox was in the process of telling his story and those of other veterans in a book entitled Why Not Me? His family hopes to complete the work.

Charley Fox died at the wheel of his car in southern Ontario on October 18 while driving from a meeting at the local airport to attend lunch with his Harvard Association.

At his funeral, a formation of nine Harvards, accompanied by a Spitfire and a Hurricane, flew over in salute. His wife Helen died in 1993, and he is survived by a son and two daughters.

The Bible is the most-shoplifted book in the world.

From: David Cromb, Brisbane
Sent: 15 November 2008 18:10
Subject: Mystery pic, 111408

G'day champ, how ' re holding up?.

Dunno where time goze nowadaze, sumat to do wiv Xmas build up probably, still no complaints, keeps me in beer chits !!

Thks to all for the pix of latest gathering, would kill to be at one of those, cash in on all the ales owed to me, esp mad dog Hazlewood, hi Don, looking good mate. Phyl that woman who has had the luck to be my best mate for 35 years, come 09 anyway, was looking at the pix also and as soon as she herself saw Tony M she fell of the bloody chair in excitement shouting I know she should !, Tony was v instrumental in my onmove to Bris from Singers when I was hitching rides to wed Phyl. He & his good lady also looked after us in style upon our return leg, fixing us up on VC10 to Bzz. Our heartiest thanks mate, would you believe we still have, and use that radio cassette we bought DF. As a side not only was it great to see Tony again, but at the check in I caught up with Jock Thom, a drinking partner from Masirah daze, wonder wot he's upto nowadaze, anyone know?.

To the matter in hand....

anuva great oba mate,as always so professionally compiled. You dont have to be rocket scientist to see it's desert country. My first thought was up country Aden, Riyan maybe, but several cans later I have plugged for Salalah, your old abode. Cheers, mines a pint of bitter !.

Well mate, being lazy Sunday, my day for catching up on mails etc etc I will luv yer n leave yer. Before I ride off into the desert sunset tho Tony, I know the site is a labour of love for you, and I am happy for you in that regard. But how much time on average per week does it take to produce a brief? Just curious matey.

Cheers my friend, take it ezy n keep the faith


Thanks DC - I normally spend about two days doing up the newsletter - but in the almost two weeks prior to that I'm constantly researching news stories and squirelling away items that I believe might be good content.

As for the mystery photo - you are correct - take a couple of pints of bitter out of your fridge - my treat!


Museum director speaks about air force history

Trenton – As Canada approaches the 100 anniversary of manned flight, aircraft have been helping the nation’s armed forces since the beginning.

Saturday afternoon at the Kenron Estates Recreation Centre, Chris Colton, executive director of the National Air Force Museum of Canada explained how the air force has developed from a three-person crew to more than 16,000 personnel.

Colton delivered the speech during a meeting of the Bay of Quinte chapter of the United Empire Loyalists. “Militarily, you can trace airplanes back to 1914,” Colton said. “During the beginning of the war, the army felt it was important to have an airplane.”

The Canadian government purchased a Burgess Dunn, a pontoon aircraft, and shipped it to England. “The British army commander said ‘why do we have a seaplane?’ It never flew and was left in England,” Colton said. “It was never seen again.”

Canadians hoping to fight in the skies were then welcomed to join the British Royal Flying Corps. In 1917, the Royal Flying Corps came to Canada to utilize the country’s vast open sky. That led to the formation of the Royal Air Force on April 1, 1919.

“At the end of the war they were given British airplanes,” Colton said. “They lasted about six months.” In 1920, the Canadian Air Force was born. It received more aircraft from England and began flying in areas from Canadian air force bases that remain to this day.

At the end of 1923, the air force became the Royal Canadian Air Force.

“It was a small organization at the time, not many aircraft but a big job,” Colton said. “Their main job they had at that point was to map Canada.”

At the beginning of the Second World War, the RCAF remained a small force. However by the end of the war, Canada’s air force had become the fourth largest in the world.

“The air force lost over 18,000 during the war. They had a higher per capita rate that the army or navy,” Colton said. “When they shot down a bomber, they lost seven people.

“One bullet could kill seven people very quickly if they weren’t careful.”

By 1968, Canada decided there was no longer a need for a large military and the navy, army and air force were joined together to form the Canadian Armed Forces. However, the new title didn’t last long. “Between 1968 and 1974 the word armed was slowly and very quietly removed,” Colton said. “Somebody didn’t like the fact that Canadians were armed.”

Today, the air force is called the Air Command of the Canadian Forces. The Air Command has 14,500 regular force members, 2,600 reserve members and employs 2,500 civilians.

“Our mandate at the museum is to tell that story,” Colton said. “And we tell the story through the artifacts of the people.”

© 2008 Community Press

In San Salvador, drunk drivers can be punished by death before a firing squad

From: Keith Parker, Kandahar
Sent: 17 November 2008 05:46
Subject: Reg Tudor's Book

Hi Tony,

The hip is coming along fine, just waiting for my new knees now.

Glad to hear that Reg Tudor is writing his life book, I hope he will include some of the remarkable photo's that he showed me years ago from his album.

I gotta tell you Reg, me and the guys at TAMS were very envious of your collection of .... friends!

Good to hear that you are fine, hope you enjoy your hols.

All the best


Thanks Keith - are you serious about the new knees? I still have you in Kandahar, should I change my records?


From: Howie Bumford, Carterton
Sent: 17 November 2008 09:52
Subject: Re: UKMAMS OBA OBB #111408

Hello Tony,

I mentioned the article from Tony Street to an ex Herc loadie (Gordon Davies ex 24 Sqn ) as he came from Leeds. He said it could possibly be John Brown ( 47 Sqn). Gordon tells me John came from Leeds also but that he heard that he has sadly passed on, but that is not confirmed.

Keep on Truckin'

Howie B

Thanks Howie, I forwarded your mail to Tony Street

The most popular condom sold in Taiwan is only 4.2 inches long!

Remains of RAF crew airlifted from jungle

KOTA BARU: The skeletal remains of 12 crew members of the British Royal Air Force flight KN630 who died in an air crash 58 years ago were removed from their jungle grave in Gua Musang late Friday. The remains were exhumed on Thursday, placed in boxes and airlifted by a Nuri helicopter to the Hospital Universiti Sains Malaysia forensic unit here. Authorities are hoping the remains would belong to nine British military personnel and three Malaysians who perished during the height of the communist insurgency.

Army museum officer Kapt Zuraimi
Abdul Ghani carrying the skeletal
remains of the crew members.

The hospital will perform DNA testing and the results are expected to be ready in a month. Hospital director Datuk Dr Zaidun Kamari declined further comment, saying that the Armed Forces would be releasing further information.

On Aug 25, 1950, flight KN630 took off from Changi in Singapore for Kota Baru where it picked up three Malaysians – Royal Federation of Malaya police constable Mohamad Abdul Lalil Jalil, civilian Yaakup Mamat and an unidentified orang asli. Enroute on a mission to lay down smoke markers for RAF bombardier aircraft, the DC3 Dakota crashed into the steep foothills along the hilly Kuala Betis-Cameron Highlands (Perak) area. A platoon of crack British troops reached the crash site but due to threats from communists, they hastily buried the dead in makeshift graves before retreating.

Both the British and Malaysian Governments decided to exhume the remains after relatives of British servicemen who died in the crash made an appeal. Last month, soldiers serving under the Eighth Brigade based in Pengkalan Chepa, with the aid of orang asli trackers, found the crash and burial site.

Police Museum director and historian Supt Syed Zainal Abidin Syed Zain said police traced the next of kin of Abdul Lalil and Yaakup last month. If the DNA results confirm blood ties, relatives of the two Malaysians will be invited to grace a series of joint Malaysia-British
military burial ceremonies to honour the fallen. The highlight is a full military burial for the crew members at the Commonwealth Military burial ground in Cheras, Kuala Lumpur.

The Star Online


From: John Holloway, Shrewsbury
Sent: 17 November 2008 17:20
Subject: RAF Mauripur Association Reunion

Hi Tony

Had a good weekend at Stratford; unfortunately we are getting a bit thin on the ground now. Just 63 sat down to dinner on Friday night of which probably 25 were members wives.We were told that at present we have 197 in the Association spread out all over the UK, Aussie and the USA. A couple of years ago one member from San Diego traveled all the way here just to attend our reunion.

On Friday afternoon we had some interesting entertainment; Chris Morris the secretary of the RAF Habbaniya Association who always attends our reunions showed us a DVD that he put together when he attended the ceremony at RAF Fairford when the Queen presented the new colours to the RAF and to the Regiment. We saw the full parade and presentation, flypast and of course the torrential rain that they had to suffer just as HRH was leaving.

We also had a DVD of the test flight earlier this year of the Vulcan XH588 all very impressive and the joy of the various people involved in getting it into the air; even the test pilot was near to tears.

Now something new that I've learnt about; one of our members brought a DVD that has been produced for the people that took part in the early part of the cold war. He was a member of a team that used to do sortie's into Eastern Germany called 'BRITMIX'. Strong vehicles like land rovers were used in which there was a team of three, an expert driver which he was, a SNCO and an officer. The driver had to be good to get them out of serious situations when being harassed by the Rusci's or the East German Stasi. The film featured various teams describing the situations that they got into including the various secrets that they got out with like a set of details on a new Russian Tank that the West were unaware of.

Also a new rifle, the AK47, when a team were told to get some bullets used so that the calibre and strength of the ammo could be ascertained. The Russians were able to do much the same in our zone but it was said that all they had to do was to tune into Radio British Forces Network from which they could glean any information they needed; something like the Argies were able to do in the Falklands !!

I've had a look on the internet but can't find anything relating to 'BRITMAX'; maybe it's operations are still secret !!!

Hope the foregoing is of interest,



Thanks John - good stuff as usual.

Liquid TIDE laundry detergent glows under a blacklight.

From: Joe Barriault, Fredericton, NB
Sent: 18 November 2008 11:22
Subject: RAF C-17

Hello Tony,

This 1/9th scale radio-controlled C-17 model was built in the United Kingdom. It was built as the centrepiece of a 15 program television series produced in the U.K. for the Home and Leisure satellite TV channel.

It took one year to build and is powered with 4 Jetcat P-120 turbines with a total thrust of 108 lbs. The model weighs over 250 lbs fuelled, and carries 12.5 litters (3.3 US gallons) of 95% kerosene and 5% turbine oil fuel. Other details include 5 Futaba PCM receivers, 16 battery packs (93 cells), 20 Futaba servos, on board air compressor, electro/pneumatic retracts, etc. Wingspan is 20 feet 8 inches, and the top of the tail fin is 74 inches (6 feet 2 inches) above the ground.

Takeoff weight is 264 lbs. The rear cargo doors open and they drop an R/c jeep on a pallet, as well as 2 free-fall R/c parachutists. The model also has smoke systems both of the inboard turbines, and uses a 2.4 GHz data link to provide real-time data to a laptop computer on the ground while in flight. This data includes airspeed, turbine RPM, EGT, fuel consumption, etc. Built mainly from balsa and ply, with many glass and carbon fiber moldings to reduce weight. It is covered in fiberglass and epoxy resin. Complete with retractable landing gear and pneumatically operated flaps. This C-17 Globe Master III is one of the largest jet models in the world today!


Joe Barriault

That's some model, thanks Joe! I do have more pictures of this aircraft on hand - if anyone wants them please let me know and I'll be happy to pass them on to you.


Australian Navy Gets 62-Day Xmas Leave

Australia's navy has been given a two-month Christmas break, in the hope that by making naval life more family friendly, it will attract the 2,000 recruits needed for the service to achieve its target strength of 15,000 sailors. Commanders have ordered all ships not on overseas operations to return to port over the holiday, while docked vessels would have only a skeleton crew to maintain on-board security. "The stand down will not impact operations and is to ensure that our people who are not required on operations are able to take a meaningful period of time off and spend time with their families," Rear Admiral Davyd Thomas, the deputy navy chief, said.

The navy faces serious staff shortages, with a 27% annual recruitment shortfall exacerbated by more than one in 10 personnel leaving the service each year. In March, the 12,000-strong navy admitted having only enough qualified submariners to operate half of its six submarines, as the mining boom drew personnel to higher paying jobs in outback mines. Australia's defence minister, Joel Fitzgibbon, said the Christmas shutdown, from December 3 until February 3, would help the navy become more family friendly. He added that it would help the service be more flexible about child care arrangements and work-from-home needs for personnel. "There's no reason why we can't have a longer stand down period each Christmas and we're looking at all sorts of ways of encouraging people to stay," he said.

Opposition MP David Johnston disagreed: "I have never seen a defence force charged with the protection of Australia saying, 'We are going to have eight weeks off over Christmas because we think it is a good thing for the mums and dads.'" Thomas said that 500 sailors would remain on active duty across Australia's northern coast and in the Persian Gulf over the break to maintain security and deter people-trafficking.

There are more nutrients in the cornflake package itself than there are in the actual cornflakes.

Flyglobespan lands itself second MoD contract

FLYGLOBESPAN, the Edinburgh-based no-frills airline, has won its second contract from the Ministry of Defence and announced it is set to return to profitability.

The company recently started operating a Falklands service from RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire for the MoD, and has now agreed a separate five-month leasing arrangement with the MoD that will see a Flyglobespan 767 fly from the RAF base to Qatar. The contract, which runs from December, is expected to bring in more than £40 million.

The firm also revealed it had returned to the black in the 12 months to October 31 following a £13m loss in the previous year. Its profit figure for the year is thought to be in the region of £1m – and it is predicting higher profits in the current year.

Flyglobespan said the MoD contract increased the latest full year's turnover from winter leasing to slightly more than £40m – 60 per cent more than the previous year.

Chairman Tom Dalrymple said: "We are absolutely delighted with the latest leasing contracts. These will have a hugely positive impact at a traditionally lean time and leave us much more strongly positioned as summer approaches."

The losses of 2006/07 followed problems with planes on the firm's Canadian routes, as well as investment in new aircraft and rising fuel prices.


From: Steve Richardson, Trenton, ON
Sent: 27 November 2008 19:13
Subject: World's Largest Plane


I got these pictures of the Antonov 225 from my father in Kitchener. This plane has been in Trenton a few times, I think around September 2006. Maybe you could use these pictures in your upcoming newsletter.


Steve Richardson

Thanks Steve - there were far too many to publish here, but I still thought it would be nice to share them. With that in mind I was able to play around with them and created a movie using all of the pictures - it follows in the next segment as the Featured Video.

Gloucestershire airport used to blast Tina Turner songs on the runways to scare birds away

Featured Video

The world's largest aircraft. The An-225 Mriya is a strategic airlift transport aircraft which was built by the Antonov Design Bureau, and is the largest aeroplane ever built. The design, built to transport the Buran orbiter, was an enlargement of the successful An-124 Ruslan. Mriya (Мрія) means "Dream" (Inspiration) in Ukrainian. Two An-225s have been produced.

The Antonov An-225 is commercially available for flying any over-sized payload due to the unique size of its cargo deck. Currently there is only one aircraft operating but a second mothballed airframe is being reconditioned and is scheduled for completion around late 2008

RAAF Mystery Photo #112808

One in three male motorists pick their nose while driving.

RNZAF Mystery Photo #112808



RAF Mystery Photo #112808

If a Lobster loses an eye, it will grow another one.

CAF Mystery Photo #112808

That's it for this issue

Have a great weekend!